Word study at home
Sight Word Practice
Word Study Activities for Word Sorts (optional)
- Cut and sort words according to the headings.
- Try to sort the words without the headings.
- Write the words in categories based on the headings (attempt to write words that are pictures – you are looking for the correct beginning sound).
- Time yourself on how quickly you can sort your cards.
- Look through books, magazines, etc. to ‘hunt’ for other words that would fit in your categories.
- Write sentences using each of your words.
- Write your words in paint!
- Rainbow write your words!
- Build your words in playdough.
BE CREATIVE AND HAVE FUN!
If your child has a picture sort, you are looking to make sure they write the correct beginning attribute. Example: you have a picture of a stick. You want your child to correctly write the ‘st.’
The kids will keep the same word sort until their group is fluent. This is usually no longer than 2 weeks. Once sorts become more difficult and are sorted by meaning, they may keep them longer.
Thank you for all of your support!
Lauren Halperin & Marisa Koob =)